Transfer Policy

Students are able to transfer to Mid or from Mid to other colleges and universities. Mid accepts most course work completed with a C or better from an accredited institution and our Transfer Degrees make transitioning into public or private four-year colleges and universities easy. Transferring is a convenient and economical option for many students. Our Mid Mentors consider what students have already completed and what courses they should take at Mid to achieve their goals.

Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)

Many Michigan four-year colleges and universities are part of the Michigan Transfer Agreement. The Agreement requires the completion of 30 credit hours of course work in general education areas. If a student has successfully completed the appropriate coursework, that student's transcript is marked MTA Satisfied. Participating four-year colleges and universities accept the transcript notation as completion of the 30 credits towards general education requirements. Not all four-year colleges and universities participate in MTA. Students intending to transfer should contact their intended transfer institution. The MTA requires that colleges list coursework that is applicable. The following are Mid's Designated MTA courses by MTA area. Each course must be completed with a minimum grade of C.

  • English Composition ENG 111.
  • Communication Either ENG 222, COM 101, or COM 257.
  • Mathematics Either MAT 107, 114, 124, 126, 212, 225, 226, 230, 240. 92
  • Natural Science: Two of the following, each from a different subject area. BIO 100, 101, 103, 107, 111, 112, 131, 138, 141, 142, 201, 203, 210, 245; CHM 105, 111, 112, 245/246, 255/256; ENV 200; GEL 101; PHY 101, 105, 211, 212; PSC 101, 102. At least one course must be a laboratory science.
  • Social Science Two of the following, each from a different subject area. ANT 170; ECO 201, 202; HIS 211, 212, 223; POL 201, 250; PSY 101, 103, 205, 212, 230, 240, 285; SOC 101, 200, 202, 211, 220, 250, 289; SSC 111, 195, 200, 229, 253.
  • Humanities Two of the following, each from a different subject area. ART 283, 284; ENG 112, 201, 202, 205, 206, 213, 225, 226, 289; FRN 101, 102; HAS 204; HIS 101, 102; HUM 101, 102, 183, 200, 205, 210, 225, 242, 253; MUS 275; PHL 201, 210, 220, 250; REL 111, 200, 225, 250; SPN 101, 102, 201; TAI 275. Only one Language course may be applied.

Credits transferred from other MTA granting institutions that have no direct equivalent to the above, but are granted departmental elective credit in one of the above areas, are also eligible for application towards an MTA Endorsement from Mid.

Transfer Credit to Mid

Mid accepts transfer credit from other accredited institutions. An evaluation is only done from an official transcript. An official transcript bears the appropriate signatures and seals and is sent directly to Mid from the issuing institution, either electronically or in print via postal carrier. Transcripts not sent directly from an issuing institution are considered unofficial and are not evaluated. Credits are transferred for courses with a minimum grade of C or better. Grades from transfer courses are not calculated into the Mid Michigan College cumulative grade point average. Transfer credits are shown on the student’s academic record. A minimum of one-half of the student’s credits toward a program must be taken at Mid to be eligible to graduate from Mid with honors.

Students who transfer to Mid after completing a degree at

  • An accredited two-year institution are exempt from 100 Level General Education requirements with the exception of math. 200 Level requirements are determined in the transcript evaluation process.
  • An accredited four-year institution are exempt from both the 100 and 200 Level General Education requirements (ENG 111, CIS 100, COM 101, HUM 200, SSC 200, and ENV 200). Students will also be awarded competency for MAT 104 unless there is transferable credit for a higher level math course.
  • “Accredited” refers to institutions accredited by one of six academic accrediting agencies: The Higher Learning Commission/North Central Association, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the New England Association of Colleges and Schools, the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Students with transcripts not accredited by one of the above agencies may be able to receive limited credit with documentation of course contents through a credit for prior learning process.
  • Students transferring with completed Associate or Baccalaureate Degrees will receive the listed exemptions. Other transferable credits will be added as they are applicable to the student’s program of study, in consultation with a Mid Mentor.

Transcript evaluation generally takes one to two weeks after the transcript is received by the Registrar. Students planning to transfer to Mid should have transcripts from other institutions sent to the College well in advance of their planned start date.


From College Catalog (Page 92)