[Modified September 29, 2016]


This policy applies to all drivers of College Vehicles, as defined herein.

Policy Statement

It is the policy of the College that all College Vehicles be operated in a safe and responsible manner in accordance with local and federal regulations, that all operators possess a valid driver’s license from a U.S. State or Territory, and that all operators follow the requirements and procedures set forth in the College’s safety policies and procedures. Violation of this policy may lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination.

Statement of Purpose

The purpose of this policy is to promote the safe operations of College Vehicles to encourage the safety of drivers and passengers, and to minimize physical damage to College assets.

The College makes a limited number of vehicles available to College employees to drive while on College business. To be eligible to use a College vehicle, individuals must:

  • Be no less than 21 years of age
  • Have no less than 3 years of driving experience
  • Be a current employee of the College
  • Provide a signed consent form authorizing the College to conduct and keep on file a driver’s license history report
  • Any driver seeking to operate a College vehicle must submit his or her driver license information and sign an authorization to allow the College to access the driver’s Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
  • Comply with the College vehicle procedures currently in effect

Permitted Uses of Vehicles

College vehicles are to be driven by authorized College employees within the scope of their jobs for official College business. Personal use of College vehicles is prohibited. Exceptions are those vehicles which may be issued to individuals as a condition of employment.

Misuse of College Vehicles

The following conditions are examples considered to be a misuse of College Vehicles

  • Driving a College vehicle without proper College authorization.
  • Driving without valid Michigan or other State operator's license of the appropriate class for the type vehicle being driven.
  • Permitting a person who is not a College employee to drive a College vehicle.
  • Engaging in unsafe practices, including failure to use and to ensure that all passengers use all available safety equipment in the vehicle being operated. Safety equipment includes seat belts and/or shoulder harnesses.
  • Falsification of travel logs, travel authorizations, defensive driver training program certificates, accident reports, or other forms relative to the use of the vehicle.
  • Improper storage or parking of College vehicle.
  • Unauthorized personal use.
  • Unauthorized transport of passengers other than persons directly involved with College business.
  • Picking up hitchhikers.
  • Transporting students for purposes other than College business or events and activities sponsored, supported and/or endorsed by the College.
  • Failure to comply with any law, regulation, or policy regarding the use of College Vehicles.
  • Transporting items/materials that are not related to College business other than personal items such as clothing and other travel necessities.
  • Transporting animals except for personal assistance animals.
  • Transporting any hazardous material including, but not limited to, chemicals, biological, and radioactive materials, unless approved by Business Services.
  • Radar detectors or jammers are not allowed in College vehicles.
  • Smoking and consumption of alcoholic beverages in a College vehicle is prohibited.

Employees misusing College vehicles may be personally liable for damages to persons or property caused to third parties and the legal expenses of defense since employees act outside of the course and scope of their employment during the misuse. Employees who misuse are also subject to disciplinary action by the College.

Basic Guidelines Applying to All Individuals Using College Vehicles

  • A valid appropriate operator license is required. In some cases, this may require a medical release or certification from a licensed physician.
  • Obtaining and maintaining a vehicle operator’s license is a personal expense and the sole responsibility of the employee.
  • All employees whose job descriptions specifically define driving as part of their job responsibilities will be subject to a driving record check prior to employment and periodically thereafter. Failure to maintain proper licensing and a good driving record will disqualify a person from operating College vehicles and may result in job reassignment or disqualification, up to and including termination.
  • Although a basic Michigan Driver’s License is all that is required to operate standard vehicles on an occasional basis, regular use of a vehicle for transporting students/staff may require a chauffeur’s license. Michigan Secretary of State regulations will govern.
  • Verification of proper licensing, and a driving record report will be facilitated by Procurement Services and reported to the employee’s supervisor on a “need-to-know” basis.
  • All vehicle mechanical problems noted by College employees should be reported to Procurement Services at once. Any damage to College vehicles is to be reported on an Incident Report Form.

Driver's License History Report Findings

Individuals may not be allowed to use College vehicles in the event the driver’s license history report reveals

  • A major offense within the past five years
  • More than one “at fault” accident in the most recent three years
  • More than one minor offense violation per 24 months
  • A license suspension in the last five years (except where caused by unpaid tickets and since resolved)

See definitions section in Appendix I.

Driver Responsibilities

Authorized drivers are required to observe all traffic regulations, and are personally responsible for any citations or fines. An authorized driver may be assessed for the loss or damage of a College vehicle if the loss or damage was caused while driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or reckless driving.

An authorized driver must not engage in any activity that would distract from the safe operation of the vehicle. This includes controlling the actions and activities of passengers to prevent distractions and to have the necessary focus on the safe operation of a vehicle. The authorized driver should avoid eating, reading, use of a cell phone/text messaging device, or adjusting audio equipment.

Any individual who will be towing a trailer while operating a College vehicle for College business or for any other College purpose must be an authorized driver who either has towing experience or has received at least two hours of behind‐the‐wheel towing instruction from another authorized driver experienced in towing a trailer. Instruction shall include the proper use of mirrors, backing, turning, lane changing, and other maneuvering techniques.

Cellular telephones should not be used while the vehicle is in motion unless it is absolutely necessary. The authorized driver should rely on a passenger to make calls or pull off the road to a safe location to make a call. If cellular telephone use is necessary, the use of a hands‐free device is encouraged.

Wearing audio equipment headsets/ear plugs while operating a vehicle is not allowed. The volume level of audio equipment must be kept at a level that allows the authorized driver to hear traffic warning devices and oncoming emergency vehicles.

Alcoholic beverages may not be consumed by the driver or passengers while in a College vehicle. This restriction includes limiting the consumption of alcoholic beverages prior to operating a College vehicle for a period of time that any consumed alcohol would not impair the authorized driver’s ability to safely operate a vehicle.

All motor vehicle accidents involving College vehicles and rental cars used for official College business must be reported to the police, the College’s Business Services Manager, and the rental car agency no matter how small the cost of damage or who is at fault. Accidents must be reported to the police and rental car agency, if applicable, immediately and reported to the Business Services Manager by noon of the following workday.

If the accident occurs on a weekend or holiday, report the accident to the Business Services Manager by noon on the following workday. If the accident occurred off campus, the department whose employee was involved in the accident is responsible for furnishing Business Services Manager with a copy of the police report.

An accident reporting kit must be kept in each College vehicle and all drivers should be informed of this. See Steps to Follow After an Auto Accident in Appendix II.

Accident Reporting

Any individual who drives a College vehicle without being an authorized driver or who continues to drive a College vehicle after being informed their authorization to drive has been suspended or revoked, will be subject to the corrective action under applicable College policies and procedures. Such drivers will be deemed to be acting outside the scope of their employment and may not be covered by the College’s insurance policies.

In the event of a claim or suit arising while driving on College business under these circumstances, the driver will not be indemnified. Drivers not in compliance with this policy may be denied reimbursement for rental vehicle and or mileage expenses.

Rental Vehicles

Rental of a vehicle is authorized by the College for use to conduct College business or for any other College purposes. The rental agreement must be in the name of the College, or the College must at least be named as one of the parties on the agreement. This is necessary to assure coverage under the College’s insurance program.

College travelers renting a vehicle from an automobile rental company are normally covered by the primary insurance procured by the rental company for that purpose. College travelers should verify that liability insurance does cover the rental vehicle through the rental car company. If a liability claim exceeds the limits of coverage by the rental company or if there is no liability coverage provided by the rental car company, the College’s coverage may be applicable.

Normally, the rental car company's insurance provides collision and/or comprehensive coverage for the rental car. Because rental car contracts vary from company to company, travelers are required to purchase a "Collision Damage Waiver" (CDW) for which they would pay a daily fee, usually ranging from $12 to $25 per day.

Management Responsibilities

Management shall provide every authorized driver with a copy of this policy and ensure they understand their obligation to operate a College vehicle in a safe manner, comply with this policy, comply with traffic laws, and practice defensive driving.

Management shall order driving records and perform other due diligence necessary to determine whether a driver meets the minimum requirements to become an authorized driver. Procurement Services will maintain a current Authorized Driver Log.

Management shall ensure that every driver meets the policy requirements, is properly authorized to operate a College vehicle, in compliance with all training requirements, and maintains records of these activities. At least annually, Management shall re-certify that each driver meets the minimum requirements as an authorized driver. Management shall de‐authorize any drivers no longer qualifying. Drivers violating this policy shall be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with other College policies.

Every vehicle must receive periodic maintenance and service as recommended by the manufacturer. Records of all maintenance and repair must be maintained. Vehicle maintenance logs will be monitored by Procurement Services.

Management shall confirm that each driver has reasonable knowledge to perform basic safety checks (tire inflation, fluid leakage, working headlights and tail lights, brakes, windshield wipers, etc.).

It is recommended that students provide their own transportation to and from field trip sites whenever possible. Alternatives are listed below in order of increasing risk to the College.

  • Commercial Transportation: Contact Procurement Services to arrange for buses.
  • Car Pooling: Car pools may be organized, however, all drivers must be College employees or identified College Volunteers and must be authorized to drive vehicles on College business.

No 15‐passenger vans may be purchased, leased, or rented as of the effective date of this policy. All 12 passenger vans purchased, leased, or rented shall be equipped with stability control (e.g. AdvanceTrac, Roll Stability Control‐RSC, Stabili‐Trak, and Electronic Stability Program‐ESP) and anti-lock brakes. Currently owned or leased 15‐passenger vans may be used for transporting no more than 10 passengers (including the driver) or used to haul cargo. In addition to the other rules and guidelines contained in this policy, the following guidelines should be considered

  • The van shall be loaded with passengers seated in the most forward positions to keep weight behind the rear axle at a minimum.
  • All passengers must wear seat belts at all times while traveling.
  • No cargo may be secured and transported on the van roof.
  • Towing trailers is prohibited.

The use of College vehicles is a privilege and the College makes no guarantee that vehicles will be available for employee use. The College reserves the right to limit, restrict, or deny the use of College vehicles by any individual.

Appendix I: Definitions

College Vehicle

Any motorized vehicle that is or may be licensed for highway use and is owned, leased, or rented by the College or for which the College is otherwise legally responsible. This includes unlicensed vehicles that are eligible for licensing, but are exempt because they are only used on campus.

Major Violation

A single infraction where four or more points are recorded on a driving record.

At Fault

Determined by the investigating law enforcement officer(s).

Minor Violation

A single infraction where three or less points are recorded on a driving record.


Those charged while actually operating a motor vehicle.

Appendix II: Steps to Follow After an Auto Accident

  • Stay calm and put car in Park.
  • Call 911 (Emergency).
  • Note time and location of accident.
  • Get name, address, and phone numbers of those injured.
  • Get information about ALL vehicles involved.
    • License plate number
    • Driver/vehicle owner’s name, address, phone number.
    • Other vehicle insurance company and policy number.
    • Other vehicle make, model, and color.
    • Drivers’ license numbers and dates of birth.
    • Passengers’ names, addresses and phone numbers.
  • Police report number, officer name, and badge number.
  • Make a sketch of the accident scene. Identify your car as “A”. Show names of streets or highways and directions of vehicles involved.
  • Complete the College Vehicle Accident Information Form.


  • When there is a safety threat to you or other motorists, move your vehicle to the shoulder. Otherwise, leave your vehicle where it is. Use common sense.
  • Call 911 for police and/or medical assistance.
  • Use the four “C’s” – Calm, Courteous, Consistent, and Concise when reporting to the responding officer.
  • Obtain complete information using the attached form and diagram sheet.
  • Think safety first.


  • Talk to anyone at the accident scene other than the police.
  • Make a deal for damages.
  • Settle for a check, cash, or private settlement.
  • Offer to pay or settle, even if you are at fault.
  • Leave the scene, even if it is a minor accident.
  • Offer first aid to others unless you are trained or licensed.
  • Stand between or near vehicles where oncoming traffic could cause a safety hazard.



Dennis Adler

Purchasing Manager

(989) 386-6622 x654


Harrison Campus

  • Shipping & Receiving
  • Room 100