Campus Alert: Harrison Campus Construction Alert! Visitors to campus should use the College's Mannsiding entrance until further notice. Learn more about Harrison renovations

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who is eligible for dual enrollment?

High school students who have:

  • Met with their high school guidance counselors and who meet the criteria set by their high school or Intermediate School District. Every school is different.
  • Met Mid’s placement standards for the course(s) that they wish to take. This might include prerequisite requirements or achieving specific scores on standardized or placement tests.
  • Completed the Dual Enrollment Application with parents and their high school counselor.

Who pays for dual enrollment courses?

Usually a high school or school district pays for most (or all) tuition and fees. Some districts even cover textbook costs. But every high school is different. You should check with your high school guidance counselor to learn about your own high school's policies. Any remaining balance that is not covered by the high school will be the responsibility of the student/parent to pay by the tuition deadline.

Where do dual enrollees take classes?

Courses can be taken at either of Mid's campuses (in Mt. Pleasant or Harrison), online, or off-campus at certain high schools.

Can home schooled students dual enroll?

Absolutely, and there are programs that will offset some or all costs. We would love to talk with you about your options. Contact us at or 989.773.6622 X227.

Is financial aid available for dual enrollment students?

No. According to federal guidelines, dual enrolled students are not eligible for financial aid. Instead, costs are often covered by the student's high school district. However, poor performance in dual enrolled classes may impact whether a high school pays for the course(s) and a student's future financial aid eligibility. Students may apply for financial aid once they have graduated from high school.

In what courses can students dual enroll?

Some school districts limit options while others do not. You will need to check with your guidance counselor about your district's limitations. Mid wants to help you make course decisions! We have admissions and advising reps who can determine the best courses for you based on your goals.

What courses are recommended for dual enrollees?

That depends on the student and the student's goals. Some courses have placement or pre-requisite requirements. For students looking to take highly-transferable, generally accepted courses, the MTA (Michigan Transfer Agreement) block of courses is a good place to begin. You can see the full MTA roster of classes HERE.

What if I want to take a class for which my district won't pay?

You can still enroll in the course, but high school students aren't eligible for federal financial aid, so you would need to secure funding for the course by yourself.

What is an early college?

Mid has partnerships with a number of local high schools to provide Early Colleges. These are programs in which students stay in high school for five years rather than four and finish high school with an associate's degree (or 60 transferable college credits). In most examples, the high school district pays for all Early College courses. These structured partnerships focus on meaningful college enrollment that leads students toward a credential or degree.

How do I set up my Mid Portal account?

Click HERE for a guide. If you still have questions, you can contact the HelpDesk at or (989) 317-4630.

How do students buy text books?

If you are participating in an enhanced dual school or Early College, you will likely not need to purchase your text books. In these cases, Mid provides text books to your school. Check with your guidance counselor if you are unsure whether your school participates in one of these arrangements.

All other dual enrollees will need to buy text books on campus or online. Your registration form (which was mailed to you) shows the classes for which you are registered, as well as class locations, times, etc.

We have campus bookstores in both Mt. Pleasant and Harrison. For fall, text books typically become available at the Mid bookstores around July.

To buy Online:

  1. Go to
  2. On the left, click Buy Books Online
  3. Under "Generate Your Book List" , Select a Campus Term
  4. Select Department (ex. ACC).
  5. Select a Course.(Ex. 101, 102)
  6. Select a Section (ex. W02).
  7. Select "ADD". Repeat the process to add multiple courses.
  8. When you have your course list, Select "Generate Book List". This will provide you a list and price options of required and optional books for each course.

If you have any questions about buying books, call the bookstore at (989)386-6640.

Back to the top