Applying for VA Benefits
Please connect with us to talk about your options. Our Veteran Resource Representative will help you understand the various VA benefit programs, along with which one(s) work best for you and your goals.
When you're ready, he will help you apply and receive your benefits.
IMPORTANT: Please retain a copy of your application for your own records.
- 22-1990 - Application for VA Education Benefits
- 22-1995 - Request for Change of Program/Place of Training
- 22-5490 - Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance
- 22-5495 - Request for Change of Program/Place of Training Survivors and Dependents
Process for Certification of Eligibility
- When education benefits are approved, the VA will mail a certificate of eligibility to the student. This will take approximately 6 to 8 weeks. This certificate is issued only once, and it will indicate the number of months of eligibility. A copy of this notification must be provided to your Certifying Official.
- You must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program. Upon completion of verification of enrollment, classes will be certified and sent electronically to the VA Office.
- If you are a guest student at MMCC requesting VA certification, your home school must complete and forward a parent institution letter to MMCC indicating that the courses you are taking at Mid Michigan Community College will satisfy the degree requirements at their school.
- If you are transferring to Mid Michigan Community College and are already receiving your VA benefits, you must download a Request for Change or Program or Place of Training Form (22-1995 for Chapters 30, 31, 33, 1606, 1607) or (22-5495 for Chapter 35) or stop by the certifying officials office at MMCC for assistance.
Self Verification of Enrollment
- Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 students must verify their enrollment monthly, on the last day of the month; monthly verification has not been adopted for Chapters 33 or 35. Payments will not be sent until this is done.
- Verify online (preferred) through Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE). Students must be currently enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE.
- Verify by Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at 877-823-2378