Career Center logo

Student Accommodation Services

Mid Michigan College recognizes the importance of encouraging and assisting each student in reaching his or her full potential.

Types of Accommodations

  • Assistive technology like scanning, reading, and voice dictation software to assist with accessibility.
  • Readers and scribes for students with visual impairments.
  • Note takers are usually recruited from the student's classes. Funds may be available to compensate note takers for students with hearing/visual impairments. Note taking paper (NCR) is provided by Mid and is available from Student Accommodation Services.
  • Interpreters including sign language & other services for the deaf and hearing impaired. An appointment to discuss this service should be scheduled well in advance.
  • E-versions of textbooks are available for students with visual impairments. Screen reader technology for materials such as course syllabi and handouts can be arranged through Student Accommodation Services, usually a minimum of two weeks in advance.
  • Testing accommodations such as extended time or a quiet environment for testing, are scheduled through the Testing Center in Library & Learning Services a minimum of one week in advance. Other requests may include readers and/or scribes, access to a computer and/or calculator, etc.
  • Tutoring through Library and Learning Services (LLS) should be requested as early as possible. Emphasis is placed on developing strategies for learning based on the student's strengths and abilities.
  • Additional services as deemed necessary and appropriate.

Steps to Acquire Accommodations

  • Apply for admission to Mid.
  • Complete orientation & placement testing.
  • Submit documentation to Student Accommodation Services.
  • Call (989) 317-4613 to schedule an appointment with Student Accommodation Services to discuss documentation, placement scores, academic goals, reasonable accommodations, and request services.
  • Meet with each of your instructors during the first week of classes to discuss your accommodation needs.
  • Be aware that all services are arranged individually on an as-needed basis. The nature and extent of accommodations may vary from course to course, instructor to instructor, and semester to semester.
  • Be aware that services beyond those approved by the College and sponsoring community support agency must be arranged and paid for by the individual.

Eligible Impairments

  • Attention Deficit or Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/HD)
  • Learning Disabilities (Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, etc.)
  • Mobility and Injury-Related Disabilities
  • Psychiatric Disabilities (Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, etc.)
  • Sensory Impairments (Audio, Visual, etc.)

What Documentation is Required?

No services or accommodations can be provided for a student who doesn't provide the necessary documentation. Students need to submit documentation from a doctor, high school counselor, or community service provider (such as Community Mental Health, Michigan Rehabilitation Services, Michigan Commission for the Blind, etc.). Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) or 504 plans may be used but other documentation is preferred. Any and all information received regarding disabilities and/or impairments is strictly confidential.

Faculty Guide to Classroom Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

Important Reminders

  • Students must plan ahead. We recommend scheduling an appointment 2-3 months before classes begin.
  • There is necessary paperwork that must be completed before accommodations can be begin.
  • Students must apply each semester to receive continued support.

Take a copy of your Accommodations Letter when you meet with your instructors if you desire to use the accommodations.

log in to access your Accommodations Letter →

In college, a student with a disability/impairment

  • must self-identify
  • must be able to do college-level coursework (assignments are not modified, only accommodations are provided)
  • must discuss appropriate accommodations with Student Accommodation Services
  • must be able to explain and clarify their needs to instructors
  • are expected to read the course syllabus and know when assignments due
  • must sign a FERPA release form to allow parent(s) to access their educational records
  • must apply with Student Accommodation Services for assistance and provide written documentation of their disability/impairment
  • must cover the cost of disability/impairment evaluation if necessary

In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, we ensure that admission, services, activities, facilities and academic programs are accessible to and usable by qualified students with disabilities. It is expected that students will make requests for accommodations well in advance of the start of the semester (a minimum of two months in advance is recommended).

Mid Michigan College has adopted internal grievance procedures which provide a venue for a prompt, equitable, and impartial resolution of grievances alleging any action prohibited by the ADA or Section 504. These procedures apply to complaints of inaccessibility, discrimination or harassment on the basis of disability and pertain to all members of the campus community including: students, faculty, staff, employment and admission applicants, vendors, contractors, and third parties.

For more information please see our Americans with Disability Act (ADA) webpage.

Please refer to our policy webpage linked here for information regarding Service Animals at Mid.

Mid Michigan College is an equal opportunity educational institution that complies with Federal and State laws and regulations prohibiting discrimination. Mid Michigan College has the responsibility to provide every qualified student with a disability the following:

  • Equal access to educational programs, services, activities, and facilities available throughout the College.
  • Reasonable and effective accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids, determined on a case-by-case basis.
  • Confidentiality of academic and disability information, except as required by law or with the written permission of the student.

Support is available for all students. Funding for qualifying students enrolled in approved occupational programs is provided through the Carl D. Perkins Grant.

Back to the top