Writing A Successful Appeal
Your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Explanation must include the following:
EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED
Why were you unable to maintain satisfactory progress?
EXPLAIN WHAT HAS CHANGED and
HOW YOU PLAN TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN FUTURE SEMESTERS
How has your situation changed?
What corrective measures have you taken or will you take to achieve and maintain satisfactory academic progress?
TIPS FOR WRITING A SUCCESSFUL APPEAL IF YOUR GPA AND/OR COMPLETION RATE IS BELOW STANDARDS
Take a look at your situation to determine what has kept you from making satisfactory academic progress. Perhaps you need help with time management or study skills. Admit the problem and explain how you will get that help.
NOTE: Lack of awareness of withdrawal policies, requirements for satisfactory academic progress or unpreparedness for college coursework will not be accepted as reasons for the purpose of an appeal.
Attach any relevant supporting documentation.
Acceptable forms of supporting documentation:
- Doctor’s statement
- Medical bills
- Copy of hospital/urgent care/doctor visits
- Obituary/Funeral Notice/Death Certificate
- Court Documents
Example of a valid explanation Statement
I had an accident at work September 4, 2020. I was in the hospital for a week in which I had to have surgery to repair my shoulder. I then had to receive physical therapy for 8 weeks following surgery which interfered with my class schedule. I was unable to complete the Fall 2020 semester and this affected my academic progress.
WHAT HAS CHANGED:
I have successfully completed my physical therapy appointments and have received a letter from my doctor allowing me to return to work. I intend to register and repeat the coursework in the classes that I failed. I will also communicate with my instructors if I am experiencing any problems in class and seek out further assistance through tutoring services if need be.
ATTACHED IS DOCUMENTATION VERIFYING MY INJURY:
- Copy of incident report from my employer.
- Copy of Hospital Bill showing the dates of my stay.
- Copy of my letter from doctor releasing my back to work.
- Your appeal must be backed up by an Independent Academic Plan (IAP) from your mentor.
- Your IAP from your mentor will show through GPA calculation results, that meeting SAP standards and graduating from your programs is an attainable goal.
TIPS FOR WRITING A SUCCESSFUL APPEAL IF YOU HAVE EXCEEDED THE MAXIMUM TIME FRAME ALLOWED TO COMPLETE YOUR PROGRAM OF STUDY
I originally was interested in obtaining a business degree. After I attended five semesters of fulltime coursework I decided I wanted to pursue a nursing degree.
PLAN OF SUCCESS:
I plan to take only the classes I have left to complete my degree at Mid.
- Your appeal must be backed up by an IAP from your mentor.
- Provide a copy of jobs in the industry you will be working in once you complete your degree.