Register HERE for our virtual initial selection event 10am-Noon Saturday, February 20, 2021.
Mid Michigan College annually seeks out exceptional high school graduates from the state of Michigan to become new members of the Lakers family. Student are selected based on their academic excellence, leadership skills, service activities, and character.
Two Types of Scholarships
Two of each scholarship type will be awarded based on Mid Michigan College's competitive selection process.
Laker Distinction Presidential Scholarships
- 2 Available
- Covers all Tuition and Fees
- The scholarship is available beginning with the summer semester after the recipient graduates from high school and ends two summer semesters thereafter.
- 62 Credit Hours | 2 Years
- The scholarship covers all tuition and fees for 62 attempted credit hours, which is approximately two years and/or a complete associate degree.
- $500 Books & Supplies Stipend
- The stipend is available for fall and winter semesters and must be used at Mid's Bookstores.
- Renewable for 2 Years
- Students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA, including any dual enrolled classes completed, during their first complete academic year at Mid.
Laker Distinction Scholarships
- 2 Available
- Covers all Tuition and Fees
- The scholarship is must be used during the academic year immediately following the recipient's high school graduation.
- 31 Credit Hours | 1 Year
- The scholarship covers all tuition and fees for 31 attempted credit hours, which is approximately one year and/or half of an associate degree.
Length of scholarship is estimated on full-time status. Tuition and fees are covered in full for both in and out-district students. Laker Distinction Scholarships cover tuition for study abroad classroom time, but do not cover fees and expenses related to study abroad opportunities.
Who is Eligible?
Graduating Michigan high school seniors with GPAs of 3.25 or better who are not participating in an Early College program.
Seats are limited and reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. Interested students should RSVP as early as possible. Applicants complete a resume, project, and participate in a competitive selection process that takes place virtually.
STEP 1: Register via Zoom and submit your resume!
- Register via Zoom to reserve your exclusive spot at our virtual initial selection event, scheduled for 10am-Noon Saturday, February 20, 2021.
- After you've registered, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Take your time to ensure your resume is detailed and grammatically correct as it will be scored by the scholarship committee.
- Consider including the following information in your resume:
- Header: Full Name, Address, Phone Number, and Email.
- Objective: A well-written, one sentence statement that conveys why you should be considered for these scholarships.
- High School: Provide your high school's information including name of school and address. You should also include the dates you've attended and your current GPA.
- Work Experience: List your work experience with the most recent listed first. Include the position, company, location, dates employed, and job responsibilities.
- Activities: List your extracurricular activities and include your dates of involvement, positions held, and a description of your duties (if applicable).
- Awards/Honors: List your accomplishments and the dates you received the award or honor.
- Community Service: List your service experiences with the most recent listed first. Include the position you served in, organization, location, dates involved, and a description of your duties.
STEP 2: Create and submit your project.
- You are required to create and submit an original project that responds to the statement, "I have something distinct to contribute to Mid Michigan College."
- Projects should be brief and effectively capture the unique qualities you possess and will bring to Mid.
- Project Deadline
- You can submit your project as soon as it is complete via email to email@example.com or in-person to Admissions on either the Harrison or Mt. Pleasant Campus. Students are welcome to visit campus to submit their projects 2pm-4pm February 8 through February 19. All projects must be submitted online or on campus by midnight before Friday, February 19, 2021.
- Project Submission Criteria
- Mid understands that each student differs in how they best express themselves, and encourages all applicants to be creative with their projects.
- Audio, Video, Slideshows, PowerPoint Presentations, or other digital media projects should be 2 minutes or less in length and can be paired with a short description or explanation about why/how your submission responds to the statement "I have something distinct to contribute to Mid Michigan College." if you feel it would be beneficial.
- Visual Art projects can include original drawings, collages, paintings, graphic design, photography, construction, sculpture, etc. Please submit only one or two visual art pieces. Visual art projects can be paired with a short description or explanation about why/how your submission responds to the statement "I have something distinct to contribute to Mid Michigan College." if you feel it would be beneficial.
- Written projects, like essays or poetry, should be 1,500 words or less.
- Have a project idea? If you have a project idea that doesn't appear on this list, contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (989) 386-6661 for feedback.
STEP 3: Attend our Virtual Initial Selection Event 10am-Noon Saturday, February 20.
- The event is virtual and includes information about Laker Distinction and other Mid scholarships, discussions with Mid Michigan College leaders, and virtual campus tours.
- Attendance at the Initial Selection Event is required if you wish to be considered.
- On rare, limited occasions students may complete the requirements on an alternate date. This is approved on a case-by-case basis, and only in extreme circumstances. If you would like request an alternate date, contact Admissions at email@example.com or (989) 386-6661.
STEP 4: Attend the Final Selection Event.
- The final selection of scholarship recipients is based on a second event to Mid Michigan College in mid-March. A limited number of finalists are invited to this event.
If you have questions about the Laker Distinction Scholarships contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (989) 386-6661.