- You must be registered in a minimum of six credit hours.
- You must be enrolled in a certificate or degree program (not as a guest student).
- You must meet the requirements of Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Depending on your total federal aggregate loan debt, you may find it helpful to meet with a financial aid officer to assist you with financial aid planning. Total loan debt includes all federal loans received at MMCC and other institutions.
- Student loans are submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system. Visit: nslds.ed.gov for more information about your student loans.
- For information about your rights and responsibilities regarding your Federal Student Loan, visit: https://studentloans.gov/.
- If you are not a resident of Michigan, there is a chance you might qualify for grant money from your home state. Check out: http://www.
collegescholarships.org/for links to different State-Funded Grant Programs. Receiving grant funds could reduce the amount of loan funds you will need to repay. grants/state.htm
Applying for a Loan for Fall/Winter 2017-2018:
The process if different based on the type of borrower you are:
If you have any questions about Applying for a Loan, contact the Financial Aid Office.
IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE TAKEN OUT A FEDERAL STUDENT LOAN AT ANY SCHOOL:
- Complete the 2017-2018 Loan Form for a 2017-2018 Fall/Winter loan. Log in to the MMCC Portal with your MMCC username and password to complete the Loan Form.
- Complete Direct Stafford UNDERGRADUATE ENTRANCE Counseling at studentloans.gov
(Be careful not to complete Awareness Counseling by mistake.)
- Complete a Direct UNDERGRADUATE Master Promissory Note (MPN) at studentloans.gov *
IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY TAKEN OUT A FEDERAL STUDENT AT ANY SCHOOL:
- Complete the 2017-2018 Loan Form for a 2017-2018 Fall/Winter loan. You must log in to the MMCC Portal with your MMCC username and password to complete the Loan Form.
Accepting a loan
Keep in mind that whatever amount you borrow must be paid back with interest. You have the right to decline the loan or to request a lower loan amount.
TO DECLINE YOUR STUDENT LOAN:
If you wish to decline all or a portion of your loan(s), a signed written request, stating the amount of loan funds to be returned, must be received by the Financial Aid Office. Please be advised that if you decline your loan(s) you will be responsible for any bill you may have with MMCC.
Federal Parent PLUS Loan
The Federal Parent PLUS loan is a loan taken out by the parent for the student.
PLUS loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods.
The parent must initially apply for the loan and sign their own Master Promissory Note. However, parents must also initiate the loan every year they are wanting to borrow funds for their student as a credit check is performed each year.
Private student loans
What's the difference between a Stafford Loan and a private student loan?
Private student loans may be available through many lendors that are unaffiliated with federal funding. You do not need to fill out the FAFSA for these loans, and interest rates may vary greatly, and you may or may not need additional qualifications such as credit history. Sometimes the loan funds are sent directly to your college and sometimes the loan funds are sent directly to you. We encourage you to carefully examine the terms or the loan when entering into private agreements.
Exit Loan Counseling
EXIT LOAN COUNSELING is advised for students who have received a Federal Stafford Loan and are no longer attending at least 1/2 time or are in their last semester at MMCC.
Exit counseling provides student borrowers with important information on what they can expect now that their student loans will be going into repayment.