• You must be registered in a minimum of six credit hours.
  • You must be enrolled in a certificate or degree program (not as a guest student).
  • You must meet the requirements of Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Depending on your total federal aggregate loan debt, you may find it helpful to meet with a financial aid analyst to assist you with financial aid planning. Total loan debt includes all federal loans received at Mid and other institutions.
  • Student loans are submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system. Visit Federal Student Aid for more information about your student loans.
  • Visit Federal Student Aid for information about your rights and responsibilities regarding your Federal Student Loan.
  • If you are not a resident of Michigan, there is a chance you might qualify for grant money from your home state. Check out: for links to different State-Funded Grant Programs. Receiving grant funds could reduce the amount of loan funds you will need to repay.
Applying for Loans - Buttons
Borrower Responsibility

Borrower Responsibility

Keep in mind that whatever amount you borrow must be paid back with interest. You have the right to decline the loan or to request a lower loan amount.


If you wish to decline all or a portion of your loan(s), a signed written request, stating the amount of loan funds to be returned, may be received by the Financial Aid Office. If requested via email, it must come from your @midmich email address. Please be advised that if you decline your loan(s) you will be responsible for any bill you may have with Mid.


The U.S. Department of Education provides an Office of the Ombudsman to help resolve loan disputes and problems. The following options are available for contacting the office: call toll free at (877) 557-2575, or write to: Office of the Ombudsman, Student financial Assistance, U.S. Department of Education, Room 3012, ROB #3, 7th and D Streets, SW, Washington, DC 20202-5144.

Loan More Information

Federal Parent PLUS Loan

The Federal Parent PLUS loan is a loan taken out by the parent for the student.

PLUS loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods.

The parent must initially apply for the loan and sign their own Master Promissory Note. However, parents must also initiate the loan every year they are wanting to borrow funds for their student as a credit check is performed each year.

For more information, and to start your application.

Private student loans

What's the difference between a Direct Loan and a private student loan?

Private student loans may be available through many lendors that are unaffiliated with federal funding. You do not need to fill out the FAFSA for these loans, and interest rates may vary greatly, and you may or may not need additional qualifications such as credit history. Sometimes the loan funds are sent directly to your college and sometimes the loan funds are sent directly to you. We encourage you to carefully examine the terms or the loan when entering into private agreements.

Private Loan Education Applicant Self-Certification Form

Exit Loan Counseling

EXIT LOAN COUNSELING is advised for students who have received a Federal Direct Loan and are no longer attending at least 1/2 time or are in their last semester at Mid.

Exit counseling provides student borrowers with important information on what they can expect now that their student loans will be going into repayment.

Click here to complete Exit Loan Counseling.

Back to the top