Residency Status

Mid Michigan College's in-district area includes the public school districts of Beaverton, Clare, Farwell, Gladwin, Harrison, and Mt. Pleasant (beginning in the Fall 2021 semester). Residents of these school districts pay a property tax to support the College, and subsequently pay a lower tuition rate.

Am I In-District or Out-District?

Students are considered IN-DISTRICT if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • They are a dependent student, as defined by IRS regulations, residing with a parent or guardian and the parent or guardian maintains their primary residence within one of the public school districts of Beaverton, Clare, Farwell, Gladwin, Harrison, or Mt. Pleasant (beginning Fall 2021).
  • They reside within the College district at the time of registration and are a United States citizen or permanent resident.
  • The student, the student’s spouse, or the parents of a dependent student hold real property within the College district against which real property taxes have been assessed in support of the College for the tax period immediately preceding registration; the tax receipt must show proof of payment of taxes in support of the College.
  • The student is an employee of a business or industrial firm or governmental agency or is a member of professional organization within the College district and the employer or organization, by written agreement, agrees to pay directly to the College all tuition and/or fees of a student for employer-approved courses.
  • Military personnel whose Home of Record or Legal Residence is within one of the public school districts of Beaverton, Clare, Farwell, Gladwin, Harrison, or Mt. Pleasant (beginning Fall 2021).
  • The students are enrolled under the provisions of Act 245, Public Acts of 1935, as amended by Act 371, Public Acts of 1965 (students receiving benefits under the Children of Veterans Tuition Grant).

Students may be asked to verify residency at the time of each official registration by providing an appropriate document such as a driver's license, voter registration card, Secretary of State Identification Card, lease agreement, or property tax receipt for the tax period immediately preceding registration, or by procedures as authorized by the President. (Note: A PO Box will not be accepted as an In-District address. )

Plus, in-district residents are eligible for and can take full advantage of the Futures for Frontliners and Michigan Reconnect scholarship programs--check your residency status today and don't miss your chance to attend Mid tuition-free!

We're here to help.

We know that financial challenges often get in the way of your plans for college. Beyond tuition, the day-to-day cost of living and surprise expenses can make paying for college a struggle. Mid is here to help with a new Student Emergency Fund and additional federal funds that can help students overcome challenges outside of the classroom. For more information on how to receive and apply for supplemental financial assistance, contact your Mid Mentor or visit

The College also has many other support services available, including loaner internet access hotspot devices, no-cost mental health counseling, an on-campus food pantry, transportation assistance, and more. Visit for more information.

Residency Status Updates

You can check to see if your mailing address is in Mid's In-District service area using this tool.

Adjust or confirm your residency status by completing this online form.

If you have questions, contact Registration & Records by calling (989) 386-6622 x453 or emailing

It's important to note that residency changes must be made no later than the second Friday of the semester. After that deadline, the existing tuition rate charged will stand for the semester, and residency changes could then be requested for future semesters.


This State-led program offers qualifying essential workers the opportunity to attend college tuition-free. Application closed.


This State-led program offers qualifying adults 25 years and older the opportunity to attend college tuition-free.

Back to the top