College Catalog Process
Mid's College Catalog is an important communication tool that our students rely on and we own this tool as a team. There are hundreds of pages that must be kept current and the responsibility for this task lies with each and every member of the Mid team.
The Strategic Communications Team is responsible for helping implement changes and ensuring that the overall voice and appearance of the College Catalog is consistent with brand standards.
Deans and Department Leadership from across the College are responsible for the accuracy of the content within their respective areas. The College Catalog table of contents should be used to find specific sections that relate to departmental expertise when reviewing Catalog content.
The following schedule generally outlines the College Catalog review process.
- January 25 Strategic Communications distributes the College Catalog for the initial review of non-academic content.
- March 17 The Curriculum Committee approves all updates for the coming year and sends these updates to the Registrar.
- March 22 The Registrar updates all academic content and sends this content to Academic Affairs for review.
- March 23-26 Academic Affairs provides all changes to the Registrar, and the Registrar makes the needed changes and then provides all updated academic content to Strategic Communications.
- March 29 - April 2 Strategic Communications makes final edits and creates an accessible PDF that is then distributed to Academic Affairs and Student Services for final review. The Catalog is distributed through Google Docs. Revisions should be noted as comments within the document. If a question is recorded in the comments, please resolve the question before the deadline so the Strategic Communications Team can make accurate revisions.
- April 7 All revisions must be reported to the Registrar and Strategic Communications. When reporting revisions please record them in the Google Doc as comments. If additional information needs to be sent to complete the change, direct that information to email@example.com and include the corresponding page number.
- April 9 The Registrar provides final academic content to Strategic Communications.
- April 12-16 Strategic Communications completes all revisions and posts an accessible PDF of the College Catalog to the website prior to the opening of fall registration.
- April 19 Fall 2021 Registration opens.
What to look for when reviewing the College Catalog...
- Please check relevant pages for content accuracy.
- Is the content current?
- Is important content missing?
- Is the content helpful to students?
- Is information presented in a manner that approaches it from a student perspective?
- Organization, Division, Department, Job Title accuracy
- Check staff member and contact information listings.
What to NOT look for during the annual audit...
- You do not need to check for accessibility standards or proper use of brand standards. The Strategic Communications Team reviews the College Catalog for these items.
Do you need to submit changes?
- Simply note the revisions required as a comment in the Google Sheet. If additional information needs to be sent to complete the change, direct that information to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the corresponding page number.
The importance of updating the College Catalog efficiently and effectively cannot be overstated, and would not be possible without the highly-valued collaboration across teams, departments, and divisions throughout the College.