On Saturday, October 15 Mid Michigan College’s Alumni Association will award the inaugural Laker Achievement Awards recognizing outstanding members of the Laker community.
“We’re excited to celebrate these exceptional alumni, College supporters, and community partners,” noted Alexa Carey, Director of Alumni Engagement at Mid Michigan College.
- Megan Moreno ’04 is the Director of Engagement and Donor Strategies at Central Michigan University (CMU), helping alumni and friends of the college advance their philanthropic goals. Megan is an engaged community member, serving as vice president of the Isabella Child Development Center Board of Directors, and previously as a board member for the Chippewa Watershed Conservancy from 2017 – 2019. A lifelong Isabella County resident and graduate of Mt. Pleasant High School, Megan earned her Associate Degree in Graphic Design from Mid Michigan College in 2004. While at Mid, she was a recipient of the Donna J. and W. Larry Collins/GFWC Scholarship Fund at the Mt. Pleasant Area Community Foundation. She went on to earn her Bachelor of Applied Arts in Graphic Design from Central Michigan University. Megan resides in Mt. Pleasant with her husband, children, and pets.
- Travis Polash ’19 is a Networking Engineer at Grand Valley State University (GVSU). After 15 years of service in law enforcement, Travis returned to school for a career change. While at Mid, he was able to attend a premier computer networking conference in California which led him to a position at CDW Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, delivering networking services to customers across the country. After three years at CDW, he transitioned to GVSU. Travis received his Associate of Applied Science in Computer Networking from Mid in 2019. He also holds a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice from Grand Valley State University. Travis lives in Grand Rapids, and has a daughter, Karley.
- Jaylen Rutherford ’20 is the Founder and CEO of Mental Health for Athletes. Inspired by the tragedy of losing a teammate to suicide, Jaylen founded the organization with the goal of providing training and development on mental health for athletic coaches and support to athletes. Jaylen received his Associate of Science in Business Studies from Mid Michigan College in 2020. He is the all-time leading scorer for Laker Basketball. Jaylen went on to Aquinas College, and now Florida Memorial University, to continue his student-athlete career. Jaylen is expected to complete his Bachelor of Science in Business in May 2023.
- Jennifer West ’93 is the Managing Director of Greenleaf Trust, located in Midland and serving the Great Lakes Bay Region. Jennifer has over twenty years of experience in the financial services industry and is a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst and a Certified Cash Balance Consultant. Prior to banking Jennifer owned a 7-11 franchise, was an adjunct business professor and was the first Regional Director of the Small Business Development Center at Mid Michigan College. Jennifer holds an Associate of Science Degree in Business Administration from Mid Michigan College in 1993, and a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Central Michigan University. She is a 2003 Graduate of the Rollie Dennison Leadership Institute, a 2016 graduate of the RLDI Capstone program, a 2018 graduate of Leadership Midland and a 2021 graduate of the Great Lakes Bay Regional Alliance Leadership Institute. Jennifer strongly believes in the importance of giving back to her community. She is the Chair of Emerald Evening-St. Brigid Catholic Schools largest annual fundraiser, a Board Trustee for Hidden Harvest, scholarship review committee chair for the Midland Area Community Foundation, is a Junior Achievement volunteer and is a Rotarian. Jennifer resides in Midland with her two daughters.
The Distinguished Alumnus Award will be awarded to Wendy Bicknell.
- Wendy Bicknell ’83 is the Director of Clinical Operations at MyMichigan Health Central Region. She has over 40 years experience in healthcare, community health education and patient advocacy. Wendy started her career in 1982 as a respiratory therapist and then became the manager and director of respiratory care for the entire health system. Later she served as the director of professional services before leading in her current capacity. Passionate about health education, Wendy has led programs in the community like smoking cessation, pulmonary rehabilitation, and the implementation of the Sleep Disorder Center in Clare. She is also active in a number of community organizations including Clare County Junior Achievement, Clare County Community Foundation, Junior Achievement and Isabella Community Mental Health advisory board. During this career progression, Wendy received an Associate of Applied Science in Respiratory Therapy from Mid in 1983, and later earned her Bachelor of Science from California College of Health Sciences Independent University, and a Master of Science in Healthcare Administration and Leadership from Saginaw Valley State University. Wendy has been married to her husband, John, for 31 years. They have three children, four grandchildren, and a Golden Doodle. They reside in Clare.
- Since 1903, Isabella Bank has been committed to serving the local banking needs of our communities. Over the years, products and services have evolved to fit the changing banking needs of area customers, but the core values as a community bank have remained the same. Focused on building relationships and strengthening our communities, Isabella Bank has been a tremendous partner to Mid Michigan College for decades. Isabella Bank has provided financial support for the construction of the Doan Center for Science & Health Technologies, and the Center for Liberal Arts & Business on the Mt. Pleasant campus. They also contributed to the renovation of the Harrison campus, and provide scholarships to dozens of Mid students pursuing business degrees through the Cynthia Brownson Memorial Scholarship Fund. Members of Isabella Bank actively volunteer with over 130 organizations throughout Mid Michigan including a number of College Advisory Boards at Mid and on the Mid Foundation Board of Directors.
- Betty Mussell served on the Mid Michigan College Board of Trustees for 35 years, and was a driving force to make the Mid Michigan College Foundation an active organization. She served on the Mid Foundation Board of Directors for 20 years. Betty was instrumental in a number of college programs and initiatives including the retiree luncheon, A Northern Tradition and the campus BBQ. She also participated in the Global Awareness Group consisting of several community colleges, and was an honorary member of Mid’s Phi Theta Kappa. Of special note, Betty signed every diploma from 1986-2021 as part of her role as a Trustee. Dedicating time to Mid is only part of Betty’s service to the community. She was also a member of the Clare Board of Education for more than 14 years, a Founding Board Member of the United Way of Clare County, and on the Board of Directors for Chemical Bank of Clare for 15 years. In addition, Betty was a Founding Board Member of the Pardee Cancer Treatment Fund of Clare County, organized the Clare Area Scholarship Association, served as PTA President and Pioneer Sports Boosters, and was a Clare Girl Scouts Leader. Most recently, she served as a Board Member of the Clare County Agricultural Society. Somehow, she also found time to play softball in the Clare Women’s Fast Pitch Softball League and participated in the Clare Women’s Tennis League. Betty is a member of the Clare United Methodist Church. Betty graduated from Breckenridge High School. Attended Central Michigan University and was employed by Dow Chemical Company where she met her husband, Dorsey. They have three children Marge (John) Sorg, Bob (Joy) Mussell and Cindy Mussell. Four grandchildren, Matthew (Lauren) Lane, Amy (Liz) Lane, Kellie Mussell, Kristine Mussell and great granddaughter Rylee Lane.
Isabella Bank will be recognized as the College’s Outstanding Corporate Partner.
The Distinguished Service Award will be awarded to Betty Mussell.
For more information about the Laker Achievement awards contact Alexa Carey, Director of Alumni Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.