Applying for VA Benefits

Getting Started

You must submit an application for VA education benefits at the Veterans Online Application Website. Retain a copy of your application for your records.

To obtain further information about VA benefits, email Tammy Alvaro, Director of Veterans Resources, at to discuss your options and call 1-800-MICH-VET for a free benefits consultation by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency.

VA General Contact Number


Additional Next Steps

  • When education benefits are approved, a copy of the certificate of eligibility will be located in the veteran's/sponsor's eBenefits account. This will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks. This certificate is issued only once and it will indicate the number of months of eligibility. A copy of this notification must be provided to the Mid Michigan College Certifying Official.
  • You must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program. Upon completion of verification of enrollment, courses will be certified and sent electronically to the VA Office.
  • If you are a guest student at Mid requesting VA certification, your home school must complete and forward a parent institution letter to Mid indicating that the courses you are taking at Mid Michigan College will satisfy the degree requirements at their school.
  • If you are transferring to Mid Michigan College and are already receiving your VA benefits, contact Mid's Director of Veteran Resources for assistance.

Self-Verification of Enrollment

  • Chapter 30 and 1606 students must verify their enrollment monthly, on the last day of the month utilizing the WAVE verification below. Payments will not be sent until this is done.
    • Verify by Interactive Voice Response (IVR) at 877-823-2378
  • Chapter 33 students must verify their enrollment monthly utilizing the Chapter 33 enrollment verification process.
  • Monthly verification has not been adopted for Chapters 31 or 35 benefits.

Paying for College

Through your veteran benefits, much of your education may be funded. Veterans may also be eligible for financial aid. We can assist you in determining which benefits work best for your unique situation and will work with you to complete and submit the appropriate paperwork.

Scholarships & Veteran Benefits

To assist veterans in seamlessly beginning at Mid, we have established funding to provide for students who may experience a delay in their veteran benefit funding.

The Christopher Smith & Estelle Bergey Smith Veteran's Award

This award provides funding for students with unique circumstances that are not always accounted for in federal and state aid programs.

For first-time veteran students, this one-semester award is for recently discharged veterans who are enrolling at Mid but do not have their Veterans Education Benefits established yet. To qualify the veteran must have been honorably discharged from active duty in the last 12 months and demonstrate financial need. The amounts of these awards vary.

If you're looking to get started on your own, the GI Bill® Comparison Tool/Benefits Calculator offers a useful analysis of programs.

Programs are approved for the use of VA educational benefits.

Veteran Educational Programs that are available for students attending Mid include*

  • Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty
  • Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act 2008
  • Chapter 35 - Survivor's & Dependent's Educational Assistance (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserves
  • Children of Veterans Tuition Grant
  • Folds of Honor

*Because programs change frequently, this list may not be exhaustive.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Website.

Director of Veteran Resources

Tammy Alvaro


(989) 386-6634 

Harrison Campus

  • Room 132

Mt. Pleasant Campus

  • CLAB 306
School Certifying Official

Beth Fitzpatrick


(989) 386-6622 x541 

Harrison Campus

  • Room 104

Mt. Pleasant Campus

  • CSS 148