If you’re thinking about starting, continuing, or returning to your college education...
Now is the time. Mid is the place. Michigan Reconnect is the way.
Michigan Reconnect is a scholarship program for eligible adults 25 years of age and up who want to pursue an associate degree or skills certificate at a Michigan community college or training school. This is your chance to take the next step toward a brighter future.
Build a brighter future at Mid with Michigan Reconnect
If you’ve been thinking about beginning your college education or going back to school to pursue your associate degree or a skills certificate, now is the time! Michigan Reconnect is also available to current Mid students who qualify!
And Mid is the place! Our teams are ready to help you apply for Reconnect, apply to Mid, and register for courses. You'll have a team of individuals supporting you every step of the way.
Michigan Reconnect is the way and provides free tuition at your in-district community college* to earn an associate degree or Pell-eligible skill certificate.
*Michigan Reconnect pays the remaining balance of in-district tuition and mandatory fees after other state and federal financial aid awards have been applied. Students who attend out-district community colleges will need to pay the difference between in and out district tuition, but will still receive a large tuition discount.
For a limited time only! Students who are 21 to 24 are also eligible for Michigan Reconnect!
In order to be eligible for Michigan Reconnect, adults have to be 25 years of age or older, but for a limited time—now through the Fall 2024 semester—students must be just 21 years of age or older.
To be eligible you must
- Be at least 21 years of age prior to the beginning of the semester for which you wish to apply the Reconnect scholarship.
- Apply and enroll in a community or tribal college no later than fall 2024 semester.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Have lived in Michigan for at least a year.
- If you are a dependent student, your parents must also meet the residency requirements.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent or certificate of completion.
- Have not yet completed a college degree.
Don’t wait — 21-24 year olds must apply to Michigan Reconnect by Friday, November 15, 2024!
- This program is for a limited time only — don’t miss the deadlines to apply, enroll, and work toward your degree while it remains tuition-free!
- After this temporary window, those with Reconnect benefits must maintain eligibility and new applicants must be 25 years of age or older.
Out-District Tuition Costs
Reconnect only pays the in-district tuition for any of Michigan’s public community colleges. You will be responsible for covering the difference between the in-district and out-of-district tuition rates of the community college you plan to attend if you live out of the district and if you do not have other scholarships or awards to cover the difference.
Reconnect Award Information
Information regarding the amount you'll receive will be available in early 2024.
Take these NEXT STEPS & get started today!
#1 Apply to Mid
- Complete our simple, FREE online application.
- Complete the Reconnect application online.
- The FAFSA is essential to receiving the most types of financial aid for your college education, including Futures. Be sure to list Mid's school code 006768 on your FAFSA.
- Your Mid Mentor is ready and waiting to be your personal guide throughout your time at Mid.
- You must be in school at least half time and stay enrolled continuously through graduation to maintain your Reconnect eligibility.
Reconnect will ensure that when you get your semester bill from the community college, the following items will be free to you
- In-district tuition - Free
- Mandatory fees (fees charged to all students per semester or per hour) - Free
- Contact hours (extra charges for certain courses and programs) - Free
Reconnect is a last-dollar program, which means that any Pell grant funds you receive are applied to your tuition and fees bill first, with Reconnect paying what’s not covered by Pell. If you don’t qualify for a Pell grant, Reconnect will pay the full cost of tuition, mandatory fees, and contact hours.
To be eligible for tuition-free community college, you must
- Be at least 25 years old when you apply (temporarily 21+)
- Be a Michigan resident for at least 1 year (US citizen or eligible noncitizen)
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (ex: GED)
- Have not yet earned an associate or bachelor's degree
- Complete the FAFSA
Mid Michigan College offers over 100 programs and pathways that lead to associate degrees, training credentials, and certificates. that lead to associate degrees, training credentials, and certificates. Whether you're looking for a career-ready or transfer credential, Mid offers customized pathways to help you achieve your goals.
Phone (989) 386-6660
Text (989) 418-4578
Mt. Pleasant Campus
Phone (989) 386-6622 x628
Text (989) 444-5695
Today matters. And today, you can start changing your life.
It’s never too late to begin something new. Mid Michigan College welcomes students of all ages, and we're ready to help you every step of the way. With over 1000 students 25 years of age or older at Mid, you aren't alone in this journey!