In response to the COVID-19 risk, please rely on the temporary information below as long as this message appears.
Mid Michigan College's typical Commencement, Honors Convocation, and Nursing Pinning ceremonies have been postponed due to the COVID-19 risk and out of concern for the wellbeing of all those who were planning to attend. Updates and answers to frequently asked questions are being posted here.
Commencement begins for all graduates at 11am and takes approximately 90 minutes.
In the past there have been two ceremonies for various programs; there is just one ceremony for all programs this year. Graduates and guests should arrive 30-60 minutes before the start time to allow ample time for graduate check-in and seating.
- Complete the Application for Diploma by April 1, 2020 for your name to appear in the Commencement Program.
- Students who apply after that date are eligible to participate in the Commencement ceremony, but their name is not printed in the program.
- Purchase your Caps & Gowns, Diploma Covers, Frames, and Tassels at Mid's Campus Store locations.
- The Campus Store Graduation Fair takes place April 15.
- 10am-2pm in Harrison
- 10am-2pm in Mt. Pleasant
- Caps & Gowns are available for purchase April 15 through May 8.
- Graduation Supplies for 2020
- Order Online!
- Cap & Gown $32.50 plus tax
- Diploma Covers $9.99 plus tax
- Extra Tassels $5 each
- Receive honor cords to wear with graduation attire at no cost. Cords can be picked up at either Campus Store.
Nursing Pinning Ceremony
- This is a private event for nursing students and their families. The pinning ceremony is a symbolic welcoming of newly graduated nurses into the nursing profession. The new nurses are presented with nursing pins by another RN chosen by the graduate, someone they consider a mentor.
- The 2020 Pinning Ceremony is scheduled for 6pm Friday, May 8 in the Mt. Pleasant Campus Community Room.
Phi Theta Kappa
- PTK honors regalia may be purchased. For more information, contact Tammy Alvaro at (989) 386-6634 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doors open at 10am for Commencement guests.
- Those unable to attend may view live streaming video at www.midmich.edu/commencement.
- Please check the Mid website prior to the ceremony to test computer capability.
Commencement Day Reminders
- Graduating students need to report immediately to the check-in table outside the gym. Please report no later than an hour before the ceremony.
- Each student receives a card used by staff with their name and degree. Students with unusual name spelling or difficult to pronounce names should write the correct pronunciation on the card prior to line-up.
- Graduates must line-up according to the assigned numbers printed on the name cards. The numbering system is based on the degree being awarded. Students receiving more than one degree or certificate should decide which group to line up with.
- Processional begins five minutes before the scheduled ceremony time, so plan accordingly!
Ceremonial Behavior & Protocol
- Mid's Commencement ceremony symbolizes the culmination of your academic efforts. It is an important and exciting day for you, your family, and your friends. To maintain the dignity of the commencement ceremony, you may not carry food or beverages into the ceremony or attach to your Commencement apparel any objects that detract from the meaning of this special occasion.
- Your name is announced when you cross the stage. You are handed a symbolic scroll and congratulated by members of Board of Trustees.
- You then move the tassel on your cap from right to left to indicate your status as a Mid graduate.
- Then proceed to the stage ramp to have your picture taken by a professional photographer.
- Additional graduation pictures are available for purchase.
- The complimentary picture and ordering information is mailed with your diploma.
- Diplomas are mailed 6-8 weeks after completing graduation requirements.
- For many students, it is not known at the time of ceremony whether requirements have been successfully completed. Instructors have one week after the semester to submit grades.
- If you do not receive your diploma within 6-8 weeks following the submission of your final grades, please call (989) 386-6622 x395.
- Mid mails your diploma to the address listed on the submitted graduation application. Please make sure to notify the College if your address changes after that submission.
How do I claim my Commencement tickets?
Each graduate is entitled to and may claim their four tickets at either Campus Store April 15 through May 8. The purchase of a cap and gown from the Campus Store is not required to claim Commencement tickets.
- If you are walking in Commencement, your cap and gown must be royal blue. This is especially important to note if you are not purchasing a cap and gown from the Campus Store.
Need more Commencement tickets?
- Ask students who are graduating and not attending Commencement to claim their four tickets at the Campus Store. Students who are not attending Commencement do not have to purchase a cap and gown to claim their tickets, and can then freely give their tickets to you.