Degrees are not awarded automatically upon completion of program requirements. You must apply for graduation. Read on for information concerning graduation eligibility, policies & procedures, honors distinction, and more!

What must I do to be eligible for graduation?

  • Complete (or be close to completing) courses & credit hours specified by your declared program of study. Any variance from the published catalog requirements must be formally approved.
  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. Some programs require a certain minimum grade for some or all courses within that program.
  • Earn a minimum of 15 credit hours toward your Associate degree (or 6 credit hours toward your Certificate of Achievement) from MMCC. If you wish to include credit from other institutions you must have official transcripts sent to MMCC directly from your previous college.
  • Apply for a diploma. (see below)

Degree Verification

The National Student Clearinghouse is now our authorized agent for providing degree verifications. If you are an employer or background screening firm requesting this information please visit

The National Student Clearinghouse can also be contacted at:

National Student Clearinghouse
13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171
(703) 742-4200

FAQs about Graduation:

When should I apply for graduation? What happens when I apply?

Students should apply six to eight weeks before the end of the anticipated last semester. This allows time to inform applicants of any requirements that need to be completed. Applications received after those recommended dates will still be processed, but students may not have time to add necessary courses and will delay graduation.

Application generates an audit -- essentially a review of a student's transcript to see which requirements have been met and which still remain. A list of requirements that still need to be fulfilled will be emailed to the applicant's address. (It will include currently enrolled courses.) If there are any questions regarding the audit, students should contact Transcript Coordinator Charles H. "Hank" Bryan at, at, or at 989-386-6622 ext 395.

Applications are reviewed again 2-3 weeks following the expected completion date. (Instructors have a week after the end of the semester to submit grades.) If all requirements have been met, the student's transcript will be updated to note that the degree has been completed. (Completion of degree does not appear on transcripts viewed through Midweb.) Approximately 6-8 weeks after the completion of courses, diplomas are mailed to students using the addresses supplied on the application. The diploma mailing file is separate from the main Mid Michigan College database; if you have an address change, please also update your diploma application, as it will not automatically update from the main database.

Applicants' names are entered onto a list of those eligible for the Commencement ceremony (see below), held in May each year. Diplomas are not distributed at Commencement; all diplomas are mailed. There is no fee for a diploma, but there are typically fees for participating in Commencement. To be eligible for the May ceremony, students should have graduation applications submitted by April 1st.

IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID NOTES: (1) Financial Aid eligibility for a student will end as of the anticipated graduation date for an Associate Degree. Students who intend to continue coursework after this date should contact a Financial Aid representative prior to registration for that coursework. (2) Graduating students who have received Federal Student Loans are expected to complete Exit Loan Counseling. Counseling can be accessed at

Will I graduate with honors?

Graduation with honors is determined by cumulative (overall) GPA. A cumulative GPA of 3.500-3.899 denotes graduation with honors. A cumulative GPA of 3.900-4.0 denotes graduation with high honors. One-half of the credit toward your program must be taken at Mid to graduate with honors.

For more information about the Honors Convocation, please see this section of the Academic Services page.

Can a student earn more than one degree, certificate, etc., from Mid?

Students may earn more than one degree, certificate, or training credential. However, extra totals of credits will be required -- twelve additional credits for each additional Associate degree, six additional credits for additional Certificates of Achievement or Training Credentials. Each course of study requires a separate graduation application.

What's the difference between 'Graduation' and 'Commencement'?

Graduation refers to completion of coursework. Students do this at various times throughout the year depending on program requirements.

Commencement is the ceremony held for those who have completed Associate's Degrees or Certificates of Achievement (Training Credential recipients are not eligible for Commencement). Currently, Mid has one Commencement date each May (after Winter Semester) at the Clare High School Auditorium. Students are eligible to participate in Commencement if they have graduated in the previous Fall Semester or have applied to graduate in the Winter, or following Spring Semester. Click here for the most current information on commencement.

What are 'Catalog Rights'?

Graduation requirements for a degree, certificate, or training credential are based on requirements printed in the College Catalog.

Students have seven years to complete those requirements, given continuous attendance. (Continuous attendance is defined as attending at least one semester per academic year.) If the program requirements are altered in subsequent Catalogs, continuously enrolled students may choose to follow the new requirements.

Students cannot mix requirements from different catalogs. If a student takes longer than 7 years to complete a program, the current requirements must be completed. If a student is not enrolled continuously, then current requirements must be followed. The college does maintain the right to shorten the 7 year period for some programs, under certain circumstances, such as complete discontinuation of a program.

Apply for a Diploma

Apply online via the form below, through MidWeb, or email Use the method that works best for you.

Back to the top