Recent events, from the COVID-19 pandemic to flooding throughout the central Michigan region, have highlighted how essential healthcare professionals are to the wellbeing of our communities.
Mid Michigan College offers several well-established programs and short-term trainings, along with a new Medical Assistant Training Credential that can be completed in just 10 months.
Mid has a well-respected Medical Assistant associate degree program available at the Harrison and Mt. Pleasant Campus locations, and recently began offering students in the Thumb the opportunity to earn this degree at the Huron Area Technical Education Center.
“Students were glad to have the opportunity to attend college in their own hometown communities, but we did receive feedback that more students would be interested in a credential they could earn more quickly,” explained Scott Mertes, Vice President of Community Outreach and Advancement.
In response to the needs of the students and community, Mid is now launching a Medical Assistant Training Credential that can be completed in just 10 months, and helps students achieve meaningful employment and financial stability while remaining close to home.
“Thumb-Area Advisory Board Members, which includes local employers, spoke to us about the need for skilled Medical Assistants throughout their region, and we’re excited to announce this new offering which will be available at all Mid Michigan College locations,” said Mertes.
Mid Michigan College’s Medical Assistant Program is well known for producing multi-skilled, high quality graduates. “Local medical professionals request and reserve employment opportunities for Mid students months before they are placed in their externships, and often contact me when they are searching for quality employees. In fact, 91% of Mid’s MA licensed graduates gain employment,” shared Jan Noteboom, Medical Assistant Program Coordinator at Mid.
In addition to Medical Assisting, Mid also offers career-ready programs of study in Nursing, Radiography, Computed Tomography Technology, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Neurodiagnostic Technology, Pharmacy Technician, Physical Therapist Assistant, and a program which has become much needed in light of recent events, Public Health. These programs of study are only available at the Harrison and Mt. Pleasant Campus locations at this time.
- Nursing 100% of Mid’s December 2019 Nursing Graduates have completed and successfully passed licensure testing. This is a first-time achievement in the history of the program, and demonstrates the exceptional quality of a Mid education and the dedication of Mid students.
- Radiography 100% of 2018 radiography graduates passed their certification exam on their first attempt within six months of graduation, and 100% were employed in the field prior to graduation as well.
- Pharmacy Technician All Pharmacy Technician courses feature a hybrid format with online lectures and on-campus labs. This program costs in-district students less than half of competitor programs in the area.
- Physical Therapist Assistant 100% of licensed graduates who sought employment within 1 year of graduation are employed in the field.
- Public Health This program allows students to transfer 50 credits directly into Central Michigan University’s Bachelor of Public Health Degree, giving you the opportunity to work in this high-demand field and advance your career.
Mid Michigan College also offers Short-Term Training opportunities for Certified Nurse Aid (CNA) and Phlebotomy that take just weeks to complete and lead directly to meaningful careers in the local area.