Human Rights Day - Essay & Art Contest
Sponsored by the Human Rights & Wellness Club and the Art + Design Club
CELEBRATION EVENT / ART & ESSAY CONTEST
- Open to all Mid Michigan College students
- One essay and/or one art entry can be submitted per student
Submit your entries to the Writing & Reading Center on the Mt. Pleasant Campus.
Entries are due by 4pm, Tuesday, December 3rd.
Winners announced at Noon on Human Rights Day! (Tuesday, December 10) The first place essay and art winners each receive a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Guidelines for entering the Art and/or Essay Contest:
Art Contest Entry
Each contestant may enter one art project that represents an element of human rights, a violation of human rights, or honors a defender of human rights.
- Artwork may be in presented in 2D, 3D, graphics, recycled materials, etc. Each artist has the freedom to choose a medium.
- Artwork may be displayed for student viewing.
- All art entries must be turned in at the Writing and Reading Center (located in the Library and Learning services) on the Mt. Pleasant Campus by December 3, 2019 at 4:00 pm.
Essay Contest Entry
Member States of the United Nations signed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948.
Contestants will read the document and attempt to answer the following questions with their essay:
The United Nations created a list of Universal Human Rights that should apply to all humans. The United States has fallen short of guaranteeing these rights. In what areas does the United States fall short and what actions could be taken to ensure these rights? Have you noticed violations of human rights in your day to day life? Is there something that could be done locally in Isabella County? At Mid Michigan College?
- Contestants need not answer every question posed but should respond to the prompt in general.
- Essays may be no longer than 1000 words.
- Essays will be formatted to MLA standards.
- Academic resources are not mandatory, but supporting evidence of a claim will increase credibility of the essay.
- Essays are to be judged by a panel of Mid Michigan College professors.
- Author retains all rights to further publication.
- Essays may be displayed for student viewing.
- All essays must be turned in at the Writing and Reading Center (located in the Library and Learning services) on the Mt. Pleasant Campus by December 3, 2019 at 4:00 pm.
By entering the contest, you are authorizing Mid Michigan College to display your work publicly, and for advertising or promotional use.
Questions? Contact Heather Justice, Human Rights & Wellness Club Secretary/Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.