Strategic Plan 2022-2025
Mid Michigan College's most recent strategic plan, Vision 2020, set the course for the College through 2020. Now, the College has developed a new strategic plan that will set the course for the future.
With input from hundreds of stakeholders, including students, community members, and employees, the College shaped a comprehensive plan based on our Enduring Goals. The stakeholder input helped us identify a set of priorities under each goal.
While this is a living document, these priorities will guide the College for the duration of the plan. The priorities are also the foundation for specific, measurable department-level objectives and initiatives. These departmental plans, housed within each department and monitored by the College Council, will ensure that the College makes progress on the institutional Strategic Plan.
Strategic Plan Structure
To make the Strategic Plan more accessible, it is organized into different levels.
Enduring Goals describe the broad focus for our energy, creativity, and work for the foreseeable future. They represent our most important areas of focus.
Priorities provide a context for the goals and set clear directions. These are the approaches we will use in supporting our enduring goals.
Objectives are developed by departments across the College to focus the organization’s attention on specific long-term and short-term ways to address the Priorities and Enduring Goals. These are the measurable results we wish to achieve during the course of the strategic planning cycle.
Initiatives are specific, measurable actions determined within each department. These provide a description of each stage or component of work that must be accomplished to reach an objective.
Enduring Goals and Priorities
ENCOURAGING STUDENT SUCCESS
The success of Mid is tied to the success of our students. To that end, we must provide relevant, high quality instruction, programming, and services that adapt to diverse learning styles, that enhance students’ ability to perform in a global society, that support career advancement, and/or that facilitate successful transfer to a senior institution.
- Provide educational opportunities that meet the ever-changing needs of current and future students through quality instruction and academic support.
- Improve access to resources to help students overcome personal barriers to success and foster an environment where all students can thrive.
- Prepare students to be critical thinkers, communicators, and problem solvers who engage with, and lead in, a diverse global society and their local communities.
ENGAGING OUR COMMUNITY
The success of Mid depends on the support of the communities we serve. Consequently, we must continuously and deliberately develop and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with our multiple communities. At the same time, we must provide leadership in uniting our communities by positioning Mid as a regional service provider. We must identify and prioritize the most significant needs of our communities, assuring that our activities align closely with our mission.
- Support our communities through collaboration with business, industry, educational partners, non-profit organizations, and local schools.
- Engage students, alumni, and community members outside the classroom.
- Expand partnerships with employers to create relevant career training and academic programming.
ENHANCING EMPLOYEE SUCCESS
The success of Mid depends on our employees. We must enable effective leaders who value and support high standards of performance using clear direction and open, honest communication. We must work collaboratively to create, nurture, and sustain a culture of mutual support and service. To do so we must align and support employees in positions that most effectively utilize, develop, and challenge their talents.
- Encourage and facilitate an environment that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Enhance professional development and continuing education for faculty and staff.
- Utilize technology, best practices, collaboration, and shared governance to provide opportunities for productivity, innovation, and efficiency.
- Develop initiatives to enhance interaction and improve the employee experience.
ENSURING INSTITUTIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
The success of Mid depends on the way we work. In an unstable environment, we must create our own stability yet be agile to serve the needs of both our internal and external customers. In times of economic uncertainty, we must develop and use our precious human, financial, and physical resources prudently and efficiently. We must ensure that our means of making decisions, communicating, and planning are streamlined yet inclusive. We must put the principles of continuous quality improvement at the center of our operations, using data to guide our constant pursuit of excellence.
- Enhance and strengthen technology and facilities to meet the needs of stakeholders.
- Create and implement policies and practices which support a productive learning and work environment.
- Ensure financial, capital, and human resources are aligned with institutional priorities and allocated effectively.