Federal COVID Relief Funds

Winter 2022

Students enrolled in the Winter 2022 semester may be eligible for Federal HEERF (formerly CARES) funds to help with expenses related to the ongoing COVID pandemic.

Funds will be distributed to students in a few ways.

Distribution to Students Based on Credit Hours

  • Students enrolled in 1-6.9 credit hours will receive $250.
  • Students enrolled in 7-9.9 credit hours will receive $500.
  • Students enrolled in 10-12.9 credit hours will receive $750.
  • Students enrolled in 13 or more credit hours will receive $1,000.

Distribution to Students Based on Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

  • Students with an EFC of 0 will receive $1,000.
  • Students with an EFC of 1-1000 will receive $750.
  • Students with an EFC of 1001-5000 will receive $500.
  • Students with an EFC of 5001 and up will receive $250.
  • Students with no EFC will receive $250.

(Students must submit a FASFA to the College to receive an EFC number.)

Qualifying students will be awarded federal funds using BOTH distribution methods. For example, if a student is enrolled in 12 credit hours and has a 2,481 EFC, that student will receive $1,250 in federal COVID relief funds ($750 for the number of credit hours plus $500 for the EFC number).

  • You can find your EFC to determine your own individual eligibility by going to myMid, selecting Self Service, clicking on Financial Aid, and choosing Award Letter.

Funds will be distributed to students around weeks 5 or 6 of the semester - after attendance in classes is verified. Qualifying students do NOT have to do anything to receive the funds.

Will I qualify for COVID relief funds?

A student is likely qualified to receive COVID relief funds if they can answer the following questions appropriately:

  • Are you enrolled in at least one course at Mid?
    • Must answer YES to qualify.
  • Are you dual enrolled as a high school student or a guest student from another college or university?
    • Must answer NO to qualify.

If you answered each of the questions as noted, then you likely qualify for COVID relief funds. The determination of eligibility will be made after the final drop date for classes, which is January 21st, and after attendance in classes is verified. Eligible students will likely receive funds in mid to late February.

What do I need to do to get COVID relief funds?

Once qualified, students will receive the award automatically. Funds will be disbursed by direct deposit first, followed by a check for those not using direct deposit. The full amount that a student qualifies for will be disbursed directly to the student. Funds will be not be applied to outstanding balances, tuition, or fees (unless prior arrangements are made with Business Services).

If you do not use direct deposit, a check will be sent to the address on file with the College. To update your address, contact enrollment@midmich.edu.

I want my money quickly. How do I sign up for Direct Deposit?

To receive funds as quickly as possible, students should sign up for direct deposit. Simply log into the secure midmich.edu/banking site and carefully submit your bank information. Please note that it may take several days for your account to show a status of verified.

How will COVID relief funds help students?

As part of the recent relief package, Mid Michigan College has received funds to distribute to students with financial need during the COVID-19 pandemic. We recognize that the effects of this crisis are both immediate and long term and that all students are facing unforeseen hardships and expenses.

To help students during this difficult time, Mid is disbursing federal COVID relief (also know as HEERF) funds to qualified students who take courses during the Winter 2022 semester.

The federal regulations require that the College provide funds to students with financial need. Students who are taking a higher number of credit hours are assumed to have an increased financial need because they are investing more time and money in their college education, while shifting hours available for work to learning. The additional hours in college also mean extra costs for childcare, transportation, meals away from home, etc.

The College will also be looking at students' Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) to determine need for federal funds. A student's EFC is calculated as part of the FASFA process. Students must complete the 2021-22 FASFA and send it to Mid in order to have an EFC number on file.

Federal COVID relief funds will not be awarded to dual or guest students.

Students will receive funds automatically, and funds will be disbursed by direct deposit first, followed by a check for those not using direct deposit. Please contact Matt at mmiller@midmich.edu if you have questions.

Need additional support? Apply for a Supplemental Award.

Qualifying students who are facing exceptional economic hardships can request additional COVID relief funds through the Supplemental Award application.

The application for Winter 2022 will be available the first week of classes.

These supplemental funds are intended to help students with extra expenses or needs related to the COVID-19 pandemic, technology, housing, transportation, childcare, or basic living needs, and other college-related costs.

To be considered for these funds, students must fill out the application (link only works when the application is available), which will be available for a limited time at the beginning of each semester. Limited funds are available and an application does not guarantee that funds will be awarded to the student in full or at all.

The College may consider criteria such as financial need, enrollment status during the semester, FAFSA submission, student status, and application information during the award process. Students must meet eligibility requirements.

We're here to help.

We know that financial challenges often get in the way of your plans for college. Beyond tuition, the day-to-day cost of living and surprise expenses can make paying for college a struggle. Mid is here to help with a new Student Emergency Assistance Fund that can help students overcome challenges outside of the classroom. For more information on how to receive and apply for supplemental financial assistance, contact your Mid Mentor or visit midmich.edu/cares. Learn more about your paying for college options.

The College also has many other support services available, including loaner internet access hotspot devices, no-cost mental health counseling, an on-campus food pantry, transportation assistance, and more. Visit midmich.edu/wellness for more information.

If you are in need of community resource assistance, contact 2-1-1 from your phone or visit 211nemichigan.org for a list of resources in your area. Another option is to visit Mid's Community Resource page to find regional providers based on your needs.

If you are in need of assistance in locating other resource assistance, contact Amy Goethe, Director of Student Wellness & Equity, at agoethe@midmich.edu.

Back to the top