Expedition Hunting & Angling Scholars
Hunting & Angling Scholars participate in experiential learning activities outside of their academic pathway to enhance their education and make connections with industry leaders in the outdoor field.
As an HA Scholar, you'll explore the ways hunting, fishing, land management, media production, conservationism, safety, and promotion of the great outdoors connect through coursework, projects, and storytelling opportunities.
In collaboration with Rusted Rooster Media, a Nationally known and award-winning outdoor production company, and other partners, scholars will learn what it takes to excel in a variety of outdoor-related careers, strategies from experts in the field, and how to apply their new skills gained from participating in outdoor adventures like salmon fishing, turkey hunting, and more.
HA Scholars develop meaningful connections with their fellow students, instructors, and industry leaders from a wide-range of outdoor-related careers.
HA Scholars participate in exciting experiential learning outdoor-related trips and collaborative projects involving their fellow students, instructors, community members, and industry leaders. Scholars will also promote outdoor heritage by sharing their stories, creating digital content, and managing social channels.
Related Academic Pathways.
Expedition Hunting & Angling Scholars can pursue any academic pathway. One related pathway developed for outdoor enthusiasts is the Outdoor Media Transfer Pathway. Additional outdoor-related pathways will be added in the future.
“I’ve been immersed in a career in the outdoor industry for over 20 years and can honestly say I can’t imagine being a part of anything else. The Expedition Hunting & Angling Scholars and Outdoor Media pathway will connect students to real-world opportunities that currently exist,” said Jason Brown, Co-Founder and Executive Producer at Rusted Rooster Media. “There’s a true lack of talented individuals who also possess an outdoor skill-set in many areas of the industry, so building a feeder system for outdoor brands, marketing agencies, as well as media and production houses has never been more important.”
Help Expand HA Scholar Opportunities!
Support HA Scholars and their experiential learning opportunities by clicking the button below or donating via check made payable to “Mid Foundation” and mailed to 1375 S. Clare Avenue, Harrison, MI 48625. Please include Hunting & Angling Scholars in the memo line.
Social Media Links & Feeds Coming Soon!
Hunting and Angling Scholars Advisory Council
- Jason Brown | Co-founder of Rusted Rooster Media and BeAlive
- Kirk Cabanilla | Alaska Commercial Fisherman/Athletic Trainer
- Jeremy Payne | Lieutenant of the Department of Natural Resources
- Jeff Poet | President and CEO of Jay’s Sporting Goods
- Erik Spindler | Executive Administrator of the Morey Foundation
- Scott Govitz | Associate VP of Workforce and Economic Development
- Amy Lince | Executive Assistant to the President and Board of Trustees
- Scott Mertes | VP of Community Outreach and Advancement
- JJ Mertz | HA Scholars Director and Full-Time Math Faculty
- Tom Olver | Associate VP of the Mid Foundation
- Chris Pellerito | Mid Admissions Representative
- Jeff Percha | Full-Time Science/Biology Faculty
- Richard Smith | Associate Dean of Off-Campus Instruction
- Shawn Troy | Dean of Workforce and Career Education
- Eric Wittig | Mid Mentor