Acceptable Use Policy
For Mid Michigan Community College's Data Network
- Mid Michigan Community College (MMCC) provides computers, networks, email, and Internet access to support the educational mission of the College and to enhance the curriculum and learning opportunities for students, faculty, and staff. In exchange for access to these computers, networks, email, and Internet providers, students, faculty and staff -- known as "users" -- agree to abide by the rules and regulations set forth in this Acceptable Use Policy.
- All hardware, software, network, and email systems and accounts, and Internet access provided by MMCC should be used for college purposes only. Any unauthorized use is expressly forbidden.
- All computers, networks, email systems and accounts, and Internet access provided by MMCC remain under the control, custody, and supervision of the College. MMCC reserves the right to monitor all computer and Internet activity to the extent it occurs on hardware, systems, or accounts provided by the College to ensure compliance with the Acceptable Use Policy, other College policies, and federal, state, and local laws, and to the extent permitted by federal, state, and local law. Users have no expectation of privacy in their use of such hardware, systems, or accounts provided by the College.
- Users are expected to comply with all copyright and intellectual property laws. Users will not use unlicensed copyrighted material, make illegal copies of copyrighted software, store such copies on MMCC systems or networks, or transmit such copies over MMCC systems or networks.
- The use of MMCC computers, networks, email systems and accounts, and Internet access, is a privilege which may be revoked by the administrators of the system at any time for unauthorized use, for a violation of this Acceptable Use Policy, or for abusive conduct. Abusive conduct includes, but is not limited to, placing of unlawful information on the system, harassment of others via email, the Internet, or otherwise, and the use of obscene, abusive, or otherwise objectionable language or conduct that embarrasses, harms, or in any way distracts from the good reputation of MMCC and its operators and sponsors. See also MMCC's employee hand book for harassment policy or the college catalog for student's rights & responsibility.
- MMCC reserves the right to review any electronic correspondence and any material stored in files to which users access, and will edit or remove any material which the staff, in its sole discretion, believes may be unlawful, obscene, abusive, a violation of this Acceptable Use Policy, or otherwise objectionable.
- MMCC's network/data systems do NOT warrant that the functions will be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall it be liable for any indirect, incidental, or consequential damages (including lost data, information, or profits) sustained or incurred in connection with the use, operation, or liability to use the system.
- To preserve the integrity of the networks and systems, users may not download software or applications without permission from the College. Users also may not open or forward emails or email attachments from unknown or questionable sources as such emails or attachments may contain viruses. Proliferation of unsolicited email, such as chain letters and spam, is prohibited.
- A MMCC user account is assigned specifically to a person and cannot be transferred to any other person, loaned, or otherwise made available for use by another. Unauthorized viewing or accessing of another user's computer files, programs, account, or data is prohibited.
- MMCC reserves the right to change the Acceptable Use Policy at the College's discretion.
- By using MMCC's network/data systems, you agree to release the operators and sponsors, Mid Michigan Community College and its faculty and staff, and all organizations, groups and institutions with which MMCC's network/data systems are affiliated from any and all claims of any nature arising from your use, or inability to use, the MMCC network/data systems.
- Students who violate this Acceptable Use Policy may be subject to disciplinary action pursuant to students rights and responsibility found in the college catalog. Faculty and staff who violate this policy may be subject to disciplinary pursuant to found in the employee handbook.